Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Biskvit Cake with Apricots and Sour Cherries


Today I decided to write about this simple, but very tasty, dessert that my mom often makes.  It is called Biskvit Cake and is similar to a Sponge Cake.  It is usually made with fresh apricots and sour cherries just like the one shown in the photo that my mom recently made.  It can also be made with other fresh fruit such as blueberries, red currants and raspberries.

This dessert is made in Bosnia and Herzegovina and my family in Croatia makes it as well.  Even though I have made it several times in the past, it never tastes as good as my mom's does, so I am going to share her recipe below. :)

Ingredients:
- 6 Turkish coffee cups (~ 3 cups) of flour
- 5 eggs
- 4 Turkish coffee cups (~ 2 cups) of sugar
- 3 Turkish coffee cups (~ 1 1/2 cups) of oil (or less if you prefer, but the cake might not turn out to be as moist)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2-3 apricots - pitted and sliced
- about 1/2 pound of sour cherries (or regular cherries) - pitted and sliced in half (you can also add some red currants or blueberries if you wish)
- add 1/2 packet of vanilla sugar (optional)
- add some grated lemon peel (optional)

Directions:
- separate egg whites from yolks
- mix yolks with sugar and vanilla sugar
- beat egg whites until stiff and add to the yolk/sugar mix
- add oil to the mix
- add about 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to flour and add to the mix (you can also add some grated lemon peel)
- when all of this is mixed well, pour mix into the baking pan
- arrange cut up fruit onto the mix and push in until the fruit is not visible and is covered
- bake in oven at 375 F (~ 190 C) for about 40 minutes until golden
- let cool and cut into squares
- sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional)
- can be served with whipped cream

Prijatno!  : )


2 comments:

  1. I love this cake and recipe... I first had this in Bosnia and fell in love with it.

    I've made this loads of times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm so glad you like the recipe! It is a very traditional and delicious cake we have in Bosnia. :)

      Delete