This is a healthy, vegetarian recipe. It can be prepared quickly and it invites experimentation - you can try it with slightly different ingredients and way of preparing. This version is fairly spicy, so feel free to adjust the amount of hot pepper flakes.
- One package of firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 ounces assorted mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flake
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped green olives
- Drain tofu and cut up into small cubes.
- Fry tofu in olive oil until it starts turning brown.
- Take out tofu with a slotted spoon.
- Add a bit more oil if necessary and fry sliced mushrooms.
- After a few minutes add cut up onions, green pepper, and garlic. Fry until onion starts to brown and get translucent.
- Add tomato sauce and hot pepper flakes.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Near the end throw in cut up olives. Here I've pitted green olives and cut them up. You can also use already pitted black olives.
- Separately boil water and add farfalle pasta to the pot. Boil for around 12 minutes so that the past is al dente.
- Serve with a green salad and a glass of wine. Enjoy :-).